Join our Truk/Palau Expedition May 2016
Platinum Award - 10 Consecutive Years
Amazing GoPro 4.0 Promotions for 2015
Congrats David - PADI Rebreather Instructor
Next PADI IDC's Feb 4th & March 4th!
Congrats January Instructors Rocking 2015!
Utila Whale Shark sightings
Utila Dive Center 100% Aware
Next PADI Rebreather Instructor Course - March 14
IYT Coxswain & DiveBoat Mate Graduates!
Now offering IAHD 'Disabled Diver/Instructor' training
Tec Sidemount & Trimix Inst. courses - Feb 15
GoPro Utila-PADI IDC & Divemaster internships and PADI Scuba Instructor courses with a difference!
Welcome to GoPro Utila! We were nominated and voted winners of PADI Americas Instructor Development award for best PADI IDC center in 2012, 2011 and 2010 and also best PADI IDC (Scuba Instructor Courses) center in 2010 by Sport Diver, no other IDC center worldwide has achieved this for 3 consecutive years, and we're the real deal, a full service dive center, not a unit in a resort chain, and our center, boats, tanks, training pool, dock and classrooms are all in one convenient location, you won't need taxis or shuttles to get around Utila and to the dive center. Our team of staff are experienced and expert divers with backgrounds in recreational and technical diving (including rebreathers), who actively teach, dive, and explore new environments each year. We have the only 2 Platinum Course Directors in Mexico and Central America on our staff and have received the Platinum status for 10 consecutive years, no other Course Director or facility in Latin/Central America can match this. We've commited to environmental conservation by becoming a 100% Project Aware partner and financially support Project Aware every month and all our divers receive a special Aware certification card. Our PADI scuba diving internships, Divemaster, and PADI Instructor courses (PADI IDC) take place in Honduras in one of the most awarded PADI Career Development Centers in the world. We offer you the best training environment in the Bay Islands for you to immerse yourself and learn in, with daily scuba courses and dive trips (which few facilities can match) in the most convenient diving/training/living location.
Some words of wisdom from our Director of Professional Training 'Andy Phillips' - "I made a career choice like the majority of Instructor candidates do, many years back, and at the time planned just a few years working and traveling in the industry, and never planned to take the path that I did or develop a career in the dive industry. I believe that exposure to a real world diving environment, and being fortunate to have mentors who were committed divers and Instructors, and not just vocational Instructors (or resort/pool sales people), encouraged me to advance and get more out of this profession. At Utila Dive Centre we are principally a dedicated team of active divers and professionals (I believe the most qualified and active worldwide!), and we all still continue our own education each year, and really take our mentorship and role-modeling seriously and we measure our success not by financials, numbers or pass rates, but by how our candidates succeed within the industry, and for that reason take an ongoing interest in every one of the professionals we train, not just during the courses but years after their time with us. We’ve tried to create a Youtube channel and Facebook community that tries to give you a feel for our facility, and would encourage you to take a look at these if you haven’t already, just be aware the videos do not do UDC or Utila justice, so if you enjoy what you see, just wait till you join us!"
Read here for a list of our unmatched awards and recognition in recent years as proof that we're the Harvard of scuba instruction - whilst often imitated by other facilities, we're never surpassed. You only get one chance to be trained as a dive professional, so read on to see why we're the right choice.
In addition to our extensive curriculum and course offerings, our PADI Divemaster and Instructor Development courses (PADI IDC) also includes;
- Free accommodation upon arrival and very affordable apartments/long term accommodation
- Unlimited diving with our internships - over 80 buoyed sites within a 1 hour boat ride. We have 4-5 boat trips departing daily from our dock
- Small group sizes with ratios of 6:1, below the industry standard
- The most affordable, convenient training and diving location - no taxis or shuttles needed to train, dive or live on Utila!
- Full service dive center, everything you need on site, we're not a concession in a luxury resort, where a dedicated dive center, with an apres dive atmosphere, with social activities and family atmosphere
- Free IDC preparation, theory review, rescue assessment and skills development. Online preparation exam testing, and access to videos of sample assignments and skills development
- Extended 11 day IDC with 2 Platinum Course Directors (no other IDC or CDC facility in the Bay Islands or Central America can offer this!!!)
- The most experienced team of staff in the region with unmatched qualifications (Course Directors, Master Instructors, Rebreather Instructors, Sidemount Instructor Trainers, Trimix Instructor Trainers)
- IAHD Adaptive teaching facility - no other facility in the Bay Islands or Central America can offer this!
- International Yacht Training facility - Qualify as an IYT Dive Boat Mate/Coxswain and expand your qualifications and opportunities!
- Guaranteed course pass and success at the exams, or we pay for the exams and offer a second course for free!
- Membership of the Global Dive Network (no other IDC or CDC facility in the Bay Islands can offer this, see website for members)
- On site freshwater training pool (more time for skill development), dedicated conference room and buffet lunches during IDC
- Marine ecology classes with 'Beautiful Oceans'. (Exclusive to Utila Dive Centre, the only 'Science Instructor Development Centre' in the Caribbean)
- Opportunity to get involved with our Project Aware 'Coral Watch' reef surveying - boost your knowledge as a dive pro of coral reefs
- Tec, sidemounts and rebreather try dives (subject to availability) - again no other Course Directors or IDC centers in the region can offer this
- Free wifi at hotel/conference facility and dive centre
- Job placement and resume preparation - we have trained over 1000 Instructors in 14 years, many now working as dive centre/resort managers, live aboard Captains, Super Yacht personel, also as PADI Course Directors themselves and even for PADI! Join our unmatched professional network worldwide!
- The most extensive range of professional level PADI continuing education options in the Caribbean - no other staff or facility can match our qualifications - DAN Instructor programs, Tec training, Rebreather courses, Sidemount Instructor courses, Beautiful Oceans Instructor courses!
- Get 15-25 PADI certifications and establish your professional career and resume with our MSDT internship/Premium Pro Plus program - another unmatched offering and benefit to your dive career!
- When taking MSDT rating with us, all additional dives included for each specialty Instructor rating (minimum 10 for PADI standards - surcharge for Nitrox)
- GoPro 4.0 promotion free PADI O2 Instructor course with IDC booked online (you just pay $124 manual/PADI fees)!
- GoPro 4.0 promotion free IAHD Instructor course with IDC/MSDT booked online (you just pay $100 application fee)!
- GoPro 4.0 promotion Sidemount diver/Instructor course reduced from $762 to $602 with IDC/MSDT booked online!
- GoPro 4.0 promotion IYT Dive Boat Mate or Coxswain (prerequisites) reduced from $1295 to $1095 - exclusive facility in Central America!
In addition to this amazing training please check this short video below to see the quality of our facility, boats, personalised service, quality and variety of diving, lifestyle and convenience that we offer you, all in one beautiful location, there's no where in the world that can offer world class training with world class diving, at such convenience, affordability and fun, day to day, month to month, year to year, quality and consistent. we deliver, guaranteed, this is UDC.............
The island of Utila is one of the most affordable in the Caribbean, having escaped mass development seen elsewhere in the region. It's a friendly bilingual (English/Spanish) island. You won't need taxis/shuttles to get around, giving you more time to reach the 80 buoyed dive sites around the island and take advtange of unlimited diving included with our internships. Our GoPro programs are supported by PADI courses (Open Water, Advanced, Rescue) starting daily in our facility. There's no other PADI Career Development Center in the region that has such a productive learning environment for you and real world students for you to work with.
You'll find information on our scuba diving internships and courses to the left, specific information on our facility (including some short but great videos) and staff above, and recent news and special events below in our news section. We hope you enjoy navigating this site. If you enjoy what you read and see, just wait till you join us - as world leaders and the Bay Islands' first choice, we're often imitated but never surpassed!!!!